Quilts

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Struggle.........................................

I know  a lot of people go to quilt shows to see fabulous quilts and they say to themselves,  I couldn't do that!  I think that most people COULD do that.  The difference between people who do that kind of quilt and those who don't is determination, being willing to try new things , take risks, being self confident.  As I work on original quilts,  I find myself in the midst of struggle after struggle.  It is not easy to take a vision that is in my mind and translate it into fabric.  I am in the middle of a struggle right now...................how to show the drape of Jacob's clothes as he lay sleeping.  From past experience, I know that using pattern in clothing, such as plaids or stripes is a perfect way to depict realistic drape of clothing on the body.  I am trying to draw a striped tunic on Jacob and I am struggling, struggling, struggling.  Rachel is coming tomorrow.  I am going to have her model Jacob's position for me, and perhaps that will help.

I learn something new from every quilt.  When I made Sycamore Bark Baskets I tried several new techniques....................captured raw edge applique, trapunto, chorded edging, and stencilling with paint.  I am so glad I am willing to take risks.....................without struggle there is no joy. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment